Skip to main content

You Use Broken Things

It has been a few days since I wrote which is good because that means it has been quiet in our home and with Oscar. We had an OB appointment Wednesday, September 27, after school and all was well. I am measuring exactly 28 weeks and Oscar's heartbeat was found right away and beating steady at 145 bpm. I got my flu shot and my goodness my arm was sore until today. I feel kind of bad Theodore is going to have to get the shot this year. I am hoping he will not be nearly as sore as I was. My OB said all seems to be going as usually and said due to this being a high risk pregnancy we will begin non-stress testing in the next few weeks. This means I will come in weekly along with my appointments and just get hooked up to the baby monitors for 20 minutes or so. This will allow for Oscar to be monitored and make sure there are no sudden changes with him.


Some other news I have been loved greatly this week by some colleagues/their families at work. I was given two gifts and the funny thing is they came on the same day. The first was a necklace inspired by the verse Matthew 17:20, "Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." I have quoted this verse before on our blog and most days my faith is strong and unwavering and I have hope and joy for Oscar's life, but there are dark days on this journey when satan steals that hope, joy, and faith I have. This necklace is a sweet, sweet reminder to keep that faith on those dark days even if it is small. In Matthew 17:14-20, it tells the story of Jesus healing a demon possessed boy. Matthew 17:19,  Jesus' disciples asked, "Teacher why couldn't we drive out the demon possessed boy?" Jesus replied, "Because you have so little faith." 


The other gift was a shadow box frame filled with quotes and verses from "Oscar's Odyssey/Stella's Story" thus far. This frame is beautiful and it also has an #OscarStrong bracelet in it and room for me to add other special momentous for Oscar. One of my favorite features of this gift is that the individual used rainbow font colors. When we first found out about Oscar (then Estella) this friend said, "It is very appropriate your doing her nursery in rainbow colors. Estella is your rainbow 'special, rare, beautiful, and God's promise.'" 

Finally, I have been told this week by a few individuals your strength Julie does not make sense and it is true, it doesn't. The joy, peace, and strength I have surpasses earthly understanding and is not my own, it is the Lord's, so if you see me and wondering how I am making it that day and I have a smile on my face please know it is our God not me. I have been listening to this song, Matthew West - Broken Things, for awhile and I think this is a good post to include it on too. Originally when I heard the song I thought it dealt more with Oscar, "it’s never the perfect; it’s always the ones with the scars that You use. It’s the rebels and the prodigals; it’s the humble and the weak" but the Lord showed me this song isn't for Oscar it's for me. He is using sinner: know it all, too demanding, my way or the highway, bossy, broken Julie to share HIS STRENGTH, JOY, and HOPE. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday.


Matthew West - Broken Things

If grace was a kingdom
I’ve stopped at the gate
Thinking I don’t deserve to pass through after all of the mistakes that I’ve made
But I heard a whisper
As Heaven bent down
Said, “Child, don’t know you that the first will be last and the last get a crown.”

Now I’m just a beggar in the presence of a King
wish I could bring so much more
But if it’s true You use broken things
Then here I am Lord, I am all Yours

The pages of history they tell me it’s true
That it’s never the perfect; it’s always the ones with the scars that You use
It’s the rebels and the prodigals; it’s the humble and the weak
The misfit heroes You chose
Tell me there’s hope for sinners like me

Now I’m just a beggar in the presence of a King
wish I could bring so much more
But if it’s true You use broken things
Then here I am Lord, I am all Yours

Grace is a kingdom
With gates open wide
There’s seat at the table just waiting for you
So, come on inside

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 years

I have attempted to write this post multiple times in the last 2 years and just never have been able to quite finish it. My thoughts would come out, but they were never quite complete. So here is my attempt today. It will be 6 years on Saturday you have been gone and I can honestly say not a day goes by that you are not thought of. I constantly wonder what our life would look like if you were here. I know it would look different, but I can't help but think it would still be so very much the same just filled with even more love and joy because of you. I also am not so naive to know it would not have more hardships too. Your life, your odyssey, Oscar, gave so much hope and joy to others. You were so very loved by individuals that never even met you. I think that is what your Dad and I are still trying to do for you six years later to continue your odyssey. To honor your life and memory, by spreading love and hope, and remembering the sweet promise that we will be reunited with you a

Merry Christmas from The Kasers 2023

As the calendar inches closer to the end of the year we always enjoy seeing and hearing updates from our family and friends. No matter if we are fortunate enough to have our paths crossed or this greeting is our only interaction, know you are in our prayers and we hope you will enjoy this most blessed time of year. Our 4th child, Finneas McClish, graced us with his arrival on June 1st. It is hard to believe he is 6 months old already and lights up any room with his big smile. Brooks, now 4, started afternoon preschool at the elementary school across the street from our house. He has quickly blossomed into a social butterfly and is always looking forward to a playdate with new found classmates. Theodore, now a reading loving 3rd grader, thinks it is pretty cool having his little brother at school with him. Teddy also has really enjoyed being a part of Boy Scouts and is always looking for adventure. As you can imagine Julie has her hands full keeping everyone organized, but she tackles

Day 29 - With Broken Hearts

It is with broken hearts we wanted to let you know Oscar went home to be with Jesus at 11:35am today, Saturday, December 16, 2017. Oscar as you know was taken off the endotracheal tube on Tuesday, December 12, and placed on a nasal endotracheal tube to see if he could maintain his airway with less support. We also were providing him with Versed to help him relax and rest during this transition. Oscar had a large drop in his blood sugars on Thursday, December 14, in the evening. Due to this they placed Oscar on continuous feeds and upped his calories to 28 calorie Elecare. It seemed this helped, but it was not a complete fix. After his low sugar of a 26 on Thursday night he had a hard time getting settled even with doses of the Versed every 6 hours. Then on Friday, December 15, we tried Oscar off the ventilator with no support this was around 12:30pm. He seemed to be retracting lots and having a hard time breathing. We then placed him on nose ram cannula with oxygen support. The